Sunday, June 10, 2007

Weekly Weigh-In, and Being OK with Being Not That OK

Starting weight: 240
Current weight: 232
Change this week: -1

Total change: -8

Well. Color me shocked. To have lost a pound after the week I’ve had is a miracle indeed. I feel as if my body is trying to take good care of me, in spite of my utter lack of regard for its well-being. Thank you, body. I will try to treat you well in return, and I apologize for what I’ve been doing to you lately.

I started to write “it’s been a tough week.” In reality, it’s been a tough 2007 thus far, though most of the things that have happened have happened to loved ones rather than to myself directly. I have friends coping with injuries that seem to be in the process of becoming chronic, marital infidelity and broken relationships, pregnancies that are not going well…the list goes on. I’ve been relatively lucky so far, with my only woes to date being the job that I did not get this week and some tough-ish times with my father. But I’ve become aware lately of the cost of supporting my loved ones while they go through these things. Not that I am complaining—I feel lucky to be able to be there to help out and listen and do whatever else I can do. But I can feel a certain amount of chronic stress building up.

I am a person, as I’ve said before, who really, really likes to feel competent and unflappable. Bulletproof, even. Go ahead, throw anything at me! I can take it! I will be there, with my compassionate, ever unshakable and ever wise self, ready to listen and to offer feedback. Oh, and I’ll do stuff around the house for you as well! And none of it will affect me in the least. Other than I’ll, you know, feel appropriately sorry for you.

But it does affect me. A good friend of mine (and one of the above-referenced women for whom 2007 has thus far been a big kick in the ass) said recently “When I was a kid, one of the things I never realized about being a grownup was that sometimes you have to work really hard to be OK.” She’s right. I’m just starting to admit to myself that I’m having to work really hard to be OK these days.

I was at a good-bye party last night for a friend who is leaving town to move out to the west coast. He’s never been happy in the Midwest and I am certain that he will never be back here. He’s someone I’ve become very close to, and I found myself nearly strangled with tears from the moment I saw him at the party last night. I’m starting to cry now, just writing about it. I was sort of amazed at the strength of my grief…I mean, there’s email, there are planes, we’ll probably run into each other at conferences, etc. etc. etc. I think, though, that my sadness is about so much more than just losing my friend. It is about that, of course, but it’s also about all the stress and sadness that I’ve been denying in myself the last six months. Saying goodbye to him just gently tipped me over the top, and I can no longer tell myself how very OK I am right now. I mean, I am OK, in the sense that I can still function at work and socialize and do the things I need to do in my daily life. I will be OK, in the sense that at some point life will feel easier than it does right now. But if I’m truthful with myself, my heart’s not OK. It is bruised and sad, and it needs me to recognize and honor that.

So. My goal this week is to be honest with myself, and to be honest with you all, and to stop pretending that it’s all good and that I am the very goodest of them all. Granted, it’s not a diet-specific goal, but I believe that learning to be honest with myself and not needing to be a perfect vision of infallibility all the time can only help me need the comfort of food less.

4 comments:

Kerri said...

Luna,

Thanks for writing so truthfully and eloquently about such a tough subject. I, too, am all about putting on a tough facade. I had a therapist tell me once that I have a classic "endurer" personality; which, of course, I was very proud of! During a very difficult period in my life (7 year relationship ended, dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and I was changing careers)a very good friend remind me that sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves is to just stop and have a little breakdown. In the end, I think it takes far more energy to hold it all in ;-) Hats off to you, my dear, for being so insightful and honest with yourself... just remember to be gentle, too! After all, we're only human.

Kerri

Anonymous said...

Hi Luna. And I second Kerri (above). Its on odd facet of western society that to be anything other than "up" and "on" all the time seems somehow unacceptable. *Hugs you* It's OK to be sad, my friend. Especially in the face of all that is going on. I think it is a huge thing that you are embracing it as part of your moving forward and salute you wholeheartedly. XXXXX

Anonymous said...

What can i say, everyone else already said it better than I could! :)

Just know I'm thinking of you and always here to cheer you on. You don't have to be strong for us. You just have to be real.

Hugs!

-Meegan

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm sorry it's been such a rough year for you - and for your friends. I think it's hard when you don't have someone you love living with you who can help do some of that emotional lifting.

Honesty is a good goal - allowing yourself to feel pain/loss/upset is another. But it sucks if that gets to be another thing to beat yourself up over.

Hang in there. It will be different next week. Not necessarily better, but not exactly the same.

*Hugs*

*S*