Monday, August 13, 2007

Checking in and Catching up

OK, I totally forgot to weigh in on Sunday or today. I think I’ll just scratch it for the week and get back on schedule next Sunday.

Last week, though, was a good week for New Body Experiences. I went to the gym twice to work out, which makes me feel like a rock star, if a rotund and easily winded one. The first time I used the elliptical machine for 27 minutes and the second time I lasted for an even 30. I have a ton of questions about things, like how to cool down afterward, what kind of stretches are good, etc. So I think it’s time to use my complimentary personal trainer sessions, which perhaps I’ll do in the coming week. Here’s the weird thing for me about this whole experience: while I’m actually exercising, I HATE it. I feel icky and clumsy and puffy. But afterward I kind of look forward to going again. Crazy! Some of it is just the novelty of the experience, the fact that the gym I chose is kind of swanky, etc. But I’m hoping to get to a point where I actually crave the exercise itself and miss it when I don’t do it. I’ve been at that point at other times in my life, and it’s great. Well, we’ll see.

The other thing I got to do was try Tai Chi. In my new job, I’ll be co-facilitating a relaxation group for vets recently back from Iraq, and my co-facilitator is a nurse who does a lot of meditation and martial arts. I sat in on one of his groups last week, and he was teaching Tai Chi. It was interesting and made me think that I might like to take a class in it. I’m finding that it’s kind of fun to experiment with moving my body in different ways, even if those ways feel odd and ungainly.

And in other, non-body related news, I am finishing up my post-doc this week, with many sad goodbyes, even though I’ll just be in another part of the hospital. I had my final Monday night dinner at the halfway house tonight, and they bought me a card and fixed lasagna in honor of my ethnicity. Cute, and kinda sad. I’ll miss those guys. I said goodbye this morning to a patient I’ve worked with for about a year now. She’s a 75 year old lady that has been processing some very difficult stuff from early in her life, and it’s been an intense working relationship. She said this morning that our parting was “like losing a little sister,” which just broke my heart. This is the hardest part of what I do. Even when there’s great satisfaction in what you’ve helped someone accomplish, the ending can be so, so hard. It’s going to be an emotional week, and a food-laden week, too. I just don’t feel like watching myself and worrying about what I consume, and I’m not sure I’d have the resources for it if I did. I’m just going to be in the moment and see what comes this week. After that…we’ll just have to see.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, take it one step at a time. Transitions aren't a great deal of fun, as exciting as they can be.

You rock for doing the elliptical. I'm scared to death of it with my torn knee, but I'm also just a chicken. I did take my friend's dog for a 2 mile walk yesterday up in the Berkeley hills. 1 mile = 18 min. Not bad at all, as there were plenty of sniff stops.

*S*

elasticwaist said...

way to go for making it to the gym and trying new things!

Anonymous said...

Like you, I HATE exercising while I'm doing it. The first 15 minutes I am literally huffing & puffing and repeating I hate this, I hate this in my mind like a mantra. It's always been that way for me, even when I was completely addicted to exercise. But after about 15-20 minutes (or sometimes just before the routine is over) I start to feel good about it and get into a 'zone'. After exercising I always feel amazing, lungs clear & strong, heart pumping and body humming. All those exercise endorphins kick in I guess :) I just wish they'd kick in right at the beginning of the work out! Feeling that good immediately would certainly give me motivations to get up and move.

I admire you for starting on a new path. I hope you enjoy your new body experiences!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you all! Dragging my sorry behind to the gym is the hardest part. Once I am into it, with the music going and everything, it feels great. Except for the hell stepper. I still hate the hell stepper. Not that I have been on it lately or anything...

Congratulations again on this new venture, Luna. You are going to have buns of steel!

Meanwhile, I also have lots of 'leaving work' dinners in the next few weeks (mote than I thought possible!)and so diet is essentially out the window. I never did master the art of moderation when out for a special meal. Something for the future maybe. :D XXXXX

Anonymous said...

Just checking in to say hi! Hope all is going well with the job & the gym :).