Monday, August 6, 2007

Fitness Comes a-Callin'

The world is telling me it’s time to stop avoiding exercise.

First, there’s my new job, which comes complete with a fitness-fanatic partner named Andy. Andy’s a nurse and Army vet, and he’s very much into yoga, meditation, hiking, etc. He’s also a devoted stair-climber. My office, which I will be sharing with Active Andy, is on the 8th floor. Andy has promised me that he will turn me into a stair climber yet…and I told him that I would give it my best shot. Now, you may remember that one of my mini-goals was to start taking the stairs at work, and I’m kinda proud to say that I’ve been doing that. However, I never have to go higher than the 3rd floor, so it’s not really that big an accomplishment. But I do it. I have to admit, the thought of climbing to the 8th floor has me most intimidated, but I’m thinking that maybe Andy will help me come up with some kind of training program. Seriously, if I try to climb to the 8th floor now, my heart will burst and I’ll keel over dead on a landing somewhere between 3 and 5.

The second thing is my very good friend J, whose life has been full of stress in the last several months. I got an email from her this weekend (I was out of town—normally we just talk on the phone or in person), and she said that she’d been sitting on her couch all weekend, eating cookies and watching movies, and she felt crappy. She said that it was time for a change, and she invited me to join a gym with her. J has been a fit and active person in the past, but she broke her wrist badly late this winter, and it has not been healing well, despite surgery and lots of PT. She loves biking, but her wrist can no longer support her weight on a bike, so she hasn’t been doing much exercise at all. This injury, coupled with a lot of work stress, has gotten her to a point of feeling pretty depressed. Her invitation to work out together is great for me: I get to feel like I’m supporting her, and she gets to support me in my goal of learning to exercise too.

And that’s what it feels like: learning to exercise. I have always felt like the biggest, lamest loser when it comes to anything that involves moving my body around. I feel clumsy, sweaty, wheezy…just icky in every way. I’ve never learned to experience fatigue as a good thing; to me, it just reminds me that I’m fat, I’m asthmatic and I’m unfit. The asthma has definitely been a big influence here. I’ve had it since I was three, and it’s induced by allergies as well as by exercise. So all throughout my childhood, when I would run or bike or otherwise exert myself, I would have an asthma attack. We had to run every day in gym class, and I never seemed to get any fitter, though I’d run like the other kids did (though slower). Over time, I began to believe that I just couldn’t do it, especially when I didn’t perceive any improvement, and exercise made me feel sick.

So now I need to remind myself that it’s OK to huff and puff. Breathing hard is not the same as having an asthma attack. It’s OK to get sweaty and tired, because that means I’m doing something good for myself. Feeling weak and clumsy is OK, because everyone has to start somewhere, and this is where I’m starting.

Wish me luck!

(Oh, and I know…I didn’t weigh in this week. I was out of town visiting with family, and I didn’t get back until late Sunday night. I ate like a big, hungry pig all weekend, so I doubt the news is good, anyway. Next week, though. Promise.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY! No trash talk about your weight, woman! "Big hungry pig" indeed. *Shakes her head disapprovingly".
But BIG props to you for getting on the exercise train. It's a fine thing. And a buddy is a huge motivator!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, please look into water aerobics. It's easy on your joints, you don't feel as disgusting when you sweat (which I hate), and feels less like exercise than anything else I know. Your gym experience sounds like mine - orchestrated by the hyperunpleasant Mrs. Strike (the former Miss Rummage).

*S*

Anonymous said...

Oh so fantastic to have a motivator to climb the stairs with you and another friend to go to the gym. Really good stuff, Luna! You are going to be so buffed! And it is great that you sound so happy and motivated about it. Huff and puff all you need to to start with - you will be able to make those 8 floors two steps at a time in no time at all. Can't wait to hear more of your fantastic progress... :D XXX

Luna Bella said...

Thanks, Ladies! This is such a sticking point with me, and it's just high time to get over it. I shall put my gym-class traumas behind me and try to move forward with optimism and self-acceptance... I'll keep you all informed!