Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Luna Joins Up

Woo-hoo! Get ready to be proud of me…I joined a gym tonight. I agreed to go with my friend who is already a member, just so I could check it out a little bit. She assured me that it’s a friendly, low-key place, with lots of awkward and un-fit people of all ages and sizes, and that I’d feel perfectly comfortable. I was skeptical.

But you know, she was right. The membership woman who showed us around was young and friendly, and she had hips and thighs big enough to make me feel sort of happy and un-judged. My friend went and got down to business on an elliptical machine, and I just decided to get over myself and join. My fee includes most classes, including pilates and water aerobics (Thanks, *S*!), which are two classes I’m particularly interested in. It also includes three sessions with a personal trainer, which I definitely plan to use. But for tonight, I got signed up, got my complimentary newbie bottle of water and went over to join my friend on the elliptical next to hers. I didn’t know how to set it, so I just hit the ‘fat burning’ button and keyed in my age, and it told me my target heart rate and then kept track of it for me while I was using the machine. Each machine has its own little TV screen, complete with cable TV, but I quickly found out that I do better with music than TV. So I got to trudging away, and I’m surprised to say that I was able to do 27 minutes on it! Now, I at many points had to go so slowly that I got a message saying “workout paused,” but whatever. It’s a start, and yay me for taking my supa-brave self out for something new and different.

I was a little intimidated by the personal trainers I saw wandering around, particularly the guys. Some of them were huge and muscular and scary looking, but they have a couple of women as well. So, when I book my three sessions, I’ll have to ask for someone that does not look like an Olympian.

I find myself surprised that I’m a little excited and optimistic about this. It feels like a nice way to start reclaiming my life and my body after the multi-year avalanche of poor health-habits that was graduate school. I spent a long time getting my brain all fit, and now it’s time to work on the stuff from the ears down. I just have to remember to be patient with myself when it takes just as long.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is soooo cool, Luna! Full points! She shoots, she scores her membership card! It sounds like you have a lot of options at your health club and that makes for more motivation. Don't worry about settings on the machines - initially, as long as you are feeling that your heart rate is rising, just focus on time. Health and fitness need to be present at all weights - and, should you never lose a pound (heaven forfend) the long term effects of regular even low-level exercise is major. According to researchers based on a study of 464 postmenopausal women at Louisiana State University, even relatively small amounts of physical activity – about 1 hour and 15 minutes per week! – can greatly improve cardiorespiratory fitness levels of people who are overweight and sedentary. While this is lower than the amount recommended for weight loss, the authors observe that improvements in fitness are associated with a reduction in the risk for cardiovascular disease and death. Also, the effect of much lower amounts of exercise has not been well studied. The results of the study were published in the May 16 issue of JAMA.)

Older omen are often study orphans, so even though you and I aren't postmenopausal, it's nice to see someone studying women after 35.

*S*

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm thrilled for you (and proud of you!). Taking that first step into a gym is really intimidating so I admire you for going for it.

I know that unless I make exercise a regular part of my routine I won't really succeed at my weight loss/improvement journey. Dieting alone just doesn't work for me. I may loose weight but I just don't keep it off because I'm not active enough. Maybe reading about your gym experiences will inspire me to get over my own fears and join one too.

Congrats on taking such a positive step!

-Meegan

Anonymous said...

SO PROUD OF YOU, LUNA! WOOOOO! Congratulations on taking the plunge. I know you said before that your weren't ready, but now you are and that is wonderful.

You know I have to confess to being a teensy bit jealous that you have someone to go with. That was/is not the case with me and I am sure must be part of the fact that I have had trouble keeping it up lately (though it must be said that by DESIGN I initially wanted to go alone because I didn't want anyone to see me - but I realise now that that is a stupid way to think). But I just don't know anyone who would want to go anyway.

I hope you really enjoy yourself and bring us back many tales of fitness and fun. :D XXXXX

Salma Gundi said...

Hey, congratulations!

About the personal trainers ... I know it is intimidating to be around the big buff guys, but what you want from a trainer isn't what they look like, but the best fit with how they can work with you.

There is one woman trainer at my gym I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. And there is one great big Olympian guy that I would trust with just about anything, including my most treasured Senior Lady Dog and guiding me around without my glasses.