Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Vanities

I love my teeth. I come from a family of smokers—folks who puffed until their teeth were yellow like corn niblets and their gums were in need of several painful tune-ups from the local periodontist. Me, I smoked, but only for a short time (I needed to bolster my image as a tortured intellectual in college and the turtleneck and black beret just didn’t quite do it), and I’ve never been a huge coffee drinker.

So, my teeth are pearly, pearly white. Two other relevant facts about my parents is that they were relatively wealthy and relatively status conscious, so they paid to have my naturally, uh… exuberant teeth corralled by the local orthodontist into some semblance of unremarkable straightness. Believe me, I’m not complaining—I looked like a beaver until Dr. K got his hands on me. I can no longer chew the paint off a wall, but I’ve learned to forgo that particular activity in favor of teeth that allow me to close my mouth all the way.

Like I said, I love ‘em. Actually, I’m crazy vain about them. I like to look at them in mirrors, just to remind myself that there’s a part of me that’s pretty. There’s not much about my appearance that I take pleasure in these days, but the teeth have stayed with me, through thick and thin, through bad hair days and bad outfit days… and God bless ‘em, they look exactly the same no matter what I weigh.

So, what about you? What are your secret (or not so secret) vanities?

7 comments:

Mal said...

My eyes are alarmingly blue and -- like your teeth -- remain so no matter what weight I'm at.

Anonymous said...

Heehee. Go the teeth. There is not so much I really like about what I see in the mirror these days, either, especially my now-greying and progressively more wiry hair. But I have come to love my hands. I have really nice fingernails, especially when I pay them some attention with an emery board. Thanks for reminding me of that. :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, another thing we have in common! I'm pretty vain about my teeth. They're naturally straight & fairly white plus I've never had a cavity or a problem with them even though I'd never been to a dentisty until my mid 20's.

Another thing I'm a little bit vain about is my complexion. I have fairly decent skin, even though it's fair. I rarely break out & I think for someone fast approaching 35 I don't have too many wrinkles. I worry about my skin & how it will look as I age so I guess it's not a pure joy to me the way my teeth are, but I'm still fairly proud of it.

Great topic for a journal entry. We should all celebrate the things we like about ourselves.

Meegan- aka. A Happy Wife (http://ahappywife.livejournal.com

Luna Bella said...

Meegan--My teeth aren't naturally straight, but I'll take 'em anyway. How nice for your adolescence that you didn't have to go thru the whole braces thing! And your lovely complexion really shows on those photos you posted.
Squilla--I'm envious; I wish I could figure out how to do my nails. I always think that pretty hands and nails make you look put together.
Mal--"Alarmingly blue"?? Cool. I'm having images of you and your blue eyes causing panics on the street. Go you!

Anonymous said...

Luna Bella,

Thanks so much for posting! You have a marvelous writing style -- and a way of seeing things that reminds me I am not alone.

Please keep writing!

Luna Bella said...

Thank you, JJthepug! I do plan to keep writing, as it keeps me from feeling alone too. Please keep stopping by, too, and drop me a comment now and again.

Anonymous said...

I have gorgeous naturally curly hair and have had people envy me for it since I was a baby. I hated it til I was about 22, but now I wouldn't trade it for straight for anything.