Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The journey begins with...

A single step, right? A blog entry, maybe?

This is a weight-loss blog. I hope so, anyway. Right now it’s a “Wow. This feels really out of control and bad and I can’t believe I weigh as much as I do” blog. It’s a “can I really do this?” blog and a “What if I write about all of this and then can’t actually discipline myself to make any changes?” blog.

Well, here’s the thing. I’m fat. I’m 5′ 8″ tall and weight about 240 lbs. I’m big, people. I turned 40 last summer, and since then, I’ve started to see what all the fuss is about, health-wise. My blood pressure is starting to creep up. I hurt my knee in a fall last October, and it has taken forever to heal, no doubt in part because of the jackhammering I give it every day just walking around on it.

The last few years have been really demanding ones. I wrote a dissertation and completed a more-than-full-time internship at the same time. I’m currently on a year-long post-doc fellowship, where I’m at work about 50 hrs per week. And I sit a lot. I’m a psychologist, so I spend most of my day with my ass in a chair, nodding and empathizing. Which, as it turns out, doesn’t burn a lot of calories.

Do I sound like I’m bitching? Oh, I’m not. Love my life, love my work. But I look back and see that I’ve gained 60 lbs in the past few years, and that I really have let graduate school nibble away at my health until I am what I am now: fat, unfit, and embarrassed.

The ‘embarrassed’ thing…that’s big for me (no pun intended). If I allowed myself to think about it, I would be too ashamed to leave the house in the morning. I had fits like that in college, where I would look in the mirror and decide I was too fugly to leave my dorm room. I don’t have them anymore, and I’m proud of that. But I’m still embarrassed about myself. I don’t date, because I’m embarrassed. And I don’t ask for help when I need it, because I’m embarrassed.

And that’s where this blog comes in. I can’t do this alone. I need to change my life, and I need to get at least a little public about it. For accountability, for fellowship, for something…

And this is hard for me. I’ve always been one to hide my vulnerabilities and uncertainties, for fear that I’ll be criticized. That’s a family thing, and something for a future post, I imagine. So, even to start this blog feels like ripping off my clothes and parading my fat self down the street, but I need to do it. I need to let the world help me.

So, this journey. I’ve been on enough of them to know that they’re never what you think they’re going to be when you start out. This one will be no different. But I know this: It starts with a single post.

3 comments:

Meegan said...

HI! You visited my dieting journal(ahappywife.livejournal.com) and I thought I'd check out your journal since we are both starting out on our dieting paths at the same time. I've got a blogger account too(hence the flamingo girl log in name here:) ), but I don't intend to use it for my dieting posts. ANyway, I'll stop by and read your posts if you don't mind & feel free to read & comment at mine too. Any encouragement & support is a good thing!

Luna Bella said...

Hey Ms. Flamingo...
I'm happy to have you stop by, and I'll continue to read your posts as well! Thanks for visiting.
Luna

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wanted to say how much I already love your blog. I haven't been here before but, the reason I am back at this first entry is that, after reading your two most recent, I wanted more. :D

All I can say is that I understand so much of what you write (and write so well). I have been stuck at the starting line of the same journey for so long - but you have just inspired me to get going. I miss health too.

Looking forward to checking back on you and comparing notes.