Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Adventures in Feminine Hygiene: The Sequel

So, I'm finishing up my second cycle with the menstrual cup (aka the CooterCap), which I first wrote about here. I have to say, I LOVE this thing. For me it is absolutely leak-proof, and surprisingly it's less messy than tampons as well. I also love the idea that I'm not putting bleached and otherwise chemically-processed fibers into or in close proximity to my body, and then I'm not throwing them out where they can sit in a landfill or the bottom of a lake forever. Oh, and the one-time investment? That too. It's all good.

The accounts I read prior to trying it out all talked about a learning curve, and there's definitely been one. I'm just now getting comfortable enough with insertion and removal that it's not a bit of a production, as it was when I first used it. And I can imagine that for anyone not used to having fairly...uh, intimate contact with her body, it might take a bit longer to get really in the swing of the whole thing. But for me, keeping at it has paid off. It's become easy, convenient and comfortable. I wish I'd gotten one 20 years ago.

So. I highly recommend the cup--it's a nice thing to do for your body, your wallet and the environment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I'm now tempted to check it out myself! :D

Erin said...

Hey! I was just thinking about trying one of those this month, and I'm so glad you posted about it.

Did you have any problems with discomfort while you were wearing one? I avoid tampons sometimes because they make my cramps worse, so that was my major hesitation about the cup.

Luna Bella said...

Hey Erin and Squilla--

I'd encourage you to give it a try, if you're interested. Erin, I've read a number of comments from women who said that it made their painful periods less so...nobody seems to know why that might be, but I've heard that frequently.

For more info on this and a bunch of other topics, you might take a peek at http://community.livejournal.com
/menstrual_cups

I found it really helpful.

Good luck!