Saturday, November 10, 2007

Boys are Scary

Just in the last few weeks I’ve had some interactions with men that were sort of …flirty, I guess. This is a surprise to me, and I don’t ever quite know what to do in response. Or if I want to respond, even. It’s a very confusing issue for me. In one instance, a friend and I had stopped into a small jewelry store, where most of the stuff was made by the proprietor himself. He offered to fix my friend’s necklace while we browsed, and as he worked he turned to me and said “I’m Guy.” It took me a moment, for some reason, to understand that he was introducing himself to me, but I got it together and introduced myself back. He asked what I did, and we talked briefly about doing therapy with young soldiers recently returned from Iraq. Turns out that he has a MS degree in counseling but has been doing jewelry for years. We chatted a little longer, he finished my friend’s necklace, I bought some earrings and we left. My friend pointed out that he seemed really interested in me, which I had not really understood in the moment. It just seems so improbable. The second instance involved a man I run into professionally now and again, as we seem to end up at some events together. The last time we met I didn’t have a business card to give him, which he remembered this week when I saw him. He said “Yeah, last time I gave you a card, and then I went back to my office and checked my email over and over, thinking Why isn’t she emailing me?? Again, in retrospect, it seems flirtatious, but in the moment there’s something in me that just doesn’t read it right.

So what gives? My lack of self esteem regarding matters of my appearance isn’t something I think about much or care to dwell on, because it feels unchangeable. I just can’t believe that someone would look at me and find me attractive. I can believe that someone could fall in love with my personality and come to find me attractive, but to be attracted just to my physical self? I just can’t picture it.

When I’m working with someone who has a belief that seems ironclad, I always have to wonder about the function of that belief. So what’s the function of my continuing to believe that I’m fugly? It’s about safety. It’s not like I have some horrible history of abuse at the hands of my father or other men in my life, but nor have I ever felt especially able to be vulnerable. Closeness feels really, really risky. And it sounds like such a cliché, but my father was always (and continues to be, even though I’m now over 40, for God’s sake) really critical of my physical self. Seems like it’s hard to detach myself from that mirror, or to trust that to open myself up to someone else will not leave me feeling criticized and humiliated.

So, how dumb, right? I meet up with men who make it fairly clear that they think my physical self is more than acceptable, and it still freaks me out. It’s as if I think they must not be able to really see me, but if they got to know me they would peer closer, and all my flaws would suddenly become apparent. And so, here I am once again. It’s not the physical at all, but the more global fear of being known.

Sigh. I was visiting with a friend earlier this evening, a woman who’s also a psychologist and who is currently coping with some significant depression. She said “I feel like a mental patient.” I said “We’re all mental patients.” And I think we are, in one way or another.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Luna. I sometimes forget that I looked different than I do now. With the exception of having become a "coot magnet", I don't pay much attention to how guys or others look at me, probably because I'm so not in the market. I always made eye contact with people, had doors held for me, and have generally always been treated with respect - the same as I treat others. My baseline assumption is that I will be treated well.

That said, it always surprises me a bit when men are overly friendly with me - like the young dude flirting with me at the bank today. For me, the attention, while often well-meant, is like "Dang, I'm wearing a wedding ring and I'm dressed modestly. Don't you get my signals?". I need to loosen up!

What probably lies at the bottom of my discomfort with men, or people in general, paying more attention to me is that I no longer get to completely controlwhen and what kind of attention people pay to me. Couple this with the fact that I now don't know (or am at least less certain) if it's because of what I project physically, emotionally or intellectually. Being a "control-factor-high" kind of gal, this throws me off.

*S*

Luna Bella said...

Great point, *S*. I think there's a measure of "need to control" in my own reaction to getting attention from men.
A friend recently told me that she feels like I'm not "hiding" anymore. That is, I'm dressing better, walking with more confidence...projecting more, I suppose. And it occurs to me that hiding is a way of asserting control. So some of this is about letting go of control by letting other see me and potentially get closer to me.
Scary stuff. But exciting too.